Preventing Mold on Clothes

If you have mold growing on your clothes it’s probably because you left them in a damp pile for a few days or more. Every time you wash your clothes you should hang them on the line or dry them in the drier as soon as you can. Clothes that have been washed and then left wet for a day or more are at risk of mold starting to grow on them.

The same applies for clothes that have gotten sweaty or wet from you wearing them. Don’t throw wet clothes in the hamper where they’ll sit for days until you do the washing. Hang sweaty clothes somewhere where they can air out first. Do the same for wet swimming gear. Towels should also be hung up to dry after they’ve been used. If you have sweaty shoes you might also want to let them air outside on the doorstep or some other place before putting them away.

Not only might mold grow on wet clothes but moisture from the clothing can really increase the humidity in your home which can lead to mold growth in your house. Another related tip is to vent the clothes drier outside or at least ventilate the room where the drier is so that the moisture from drying clothes doesn’t get released into the air in your house.

Symptoms & Effects of Mold on Clothes

If you find mold on your clothes you should remove it as soon as possible. One reason to clean away mold and a sign that you might have mold on your clothes is the symptoms it can cause. If you’re wearing clothes with mold on them you may feel itchiness where the mold is contacting your skin and develop a rash. The clothing might also make you sneeze when you wear it. Another reason to remove mold from clothes quickly is the damage it can do to your clothing. Mold digests whatever material it’s growing on so long term mold growth will destroy clothing. As mold grows larger it will also leave a greater stain on your clothing which can be difficult to remove and the clothes will smell.

Finally, mold on clothes releases mold spores into the air of your home which can promote mold growing inside. Additionally a build up of spores in your home’s air can cause you to suffer allergic symptoms while you are inside your house such as sneezing and sore eyes.

 

Majeske Home Inspection Services

Hernick Environmental LLC - Frankenmuth, Michigan

air experts of Michigan